Kefir, I read once when researching probiotics. This claim intrigued me and I wanted to learn more about this miracle drink! Kefir is a probiotic that contains many strains of good bacteria. It is also a great source of protein and contains many vitamins and minerals.
What is Kefir? Kefir is fermented milk made from kefir grain (which is a mixture of bacteria and yeast). Kefir has a similar taste to yogurt, but is more drinkable.
Kefir is derived from the Turkish word “Keif” which means “good feeling”. Kefir is a plant that originated in the Caucasus Mountains of Eastern Europe. Its cultivation dates back as far as 3000 BC.
Kefir Health Benefits
- It contains beneficial bacteria and yeasts for maintaining healthy intestinal flora
- Kefir is suitable for people with lactose allergies (the fermentation process reduces the lactose content in kefir).
- Vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamins B2, B6, D, vitamin K2 & folic acid
- It is a good calcium source
- Improved digestion can help regulate metabolism
- Kefir’s probiotic properties can help boost your immune system.
- Kefir is a great source of protein. A single serving contains 10.5 grams.
Kefir: How to include it in your diet
Kefir has the advantage of being easy to make. Unlike some yogurts that contain hidden sugars or preservatives, Kefir does not. You only need some Kefir grains, milk and coconut milk. Water kefir grains are available for those who cannot consume dairy products.
Kefir can be added to smoothies as a substitute for yogurt, eaten with fruit or just plain. Below is a recipe for a Kefir and Blueberry Smoothie.
Instructions for making Natures Goodness Kefir
Pour 1L of milk with the contents of 1x Kefir packet. Leave the Kefir for 24 to 36 hours at 20C, or until it starts to settle. Then place the Kefir in the refrigerator for 12h. Kefir is ready for drinking when it has a smooth, yogurt-like consistency. Half a glass can be collected and used to add 1L of milk. Repeat this process up to 3 more times for a total of 5L.
Kefir Yogurt is available in supermarkets in New Zealand. The ‘Straight Up Kefir” brand was excellent. It is delicious.
Plum Blueberry Kefir Smoothie
In recent months, I’ve been putting plums into smoothies as often as I can. This delicious smoothie is full of immune boosters, and a great way to add probiotics to your diet.