My Homemade Muesli + other Nourishing News February 15 2014 by Simone Denny
Muesli is a funny thing. Making it is a bit like playing Chinese whispers: you pass on a recipe but everyone has their own iteration of it and somehow the end product is always quite different from how it originally started. I actually like this evolution and I'm always interested to try someone's batch when they tell me they made 'my' muesli.
I struggled with what to call this recipe because in fact my muesli is an evolution of my Mum's muesli that she made as we were growing up. Her recipe was quite legendary and also well travelled. During my years of living in the States, London and Hong Kong my Mum (or any of her friends she could rope in) always arrived with a batch of her homemade muesli - it was a little piece of home I always savoured.
My version of my Mum's muesli is perhaps a bit more 2014 (in terms of ingredients and price) but the basic recipe remains the same - i.e. coconut oil replaces olive oil, pure maple syrup or agave replaces honey (although honey works perfectly well) and gojis replace raisins etc, etc. I will leave it up to you to choose what you opt in and out of for this recipe.
Why make your own Muesli
- You can control the sugar! Store bought muesli is notorious for having added refined sugar, often significant amounts. In this recipe you can use a range of refined sugar replacements and manage the sweetness to your liking.
- It's cheaper (depending on the ingredients). It might seem expensive when shopping for the ingredients but one shop does tend to make a huge batch and probably still works out cheaper than buying it off the shelf.
- Muesli is nutritionally dense, if you want it to be. You can add all kinds of seeds, nuts, fibre and superfoods.
- It's flexible - you can make nut free varieties by omitting nuts, sugar free by using rice syrup, or gluten free by replacing the oats with a gluten free substitute - I encourage you to experiment :)
- My recipe uses oats rather than wheat or corn. Oats are a slower digesting grain (meaning you feel full longer) and the larger sized oats are low GI (more so than quick oats).
If you missed it on facebook (don't forget to like us there) this week we gave away a free copy of the Thermie Living Magazine App. A great magazine for healthy Thermomix lovers. Take a read of my article on Sneaky Sugars in Kids Foods. e
Here is where to find the magazine: http://tiny.cc/newsstandtl
Here is the coupon for the issue: yht54
Here is how to use the coupon http://tiny.cc/h2usecoupon
Think Outside the Lunchbox
Needing some inspiration for healthy school lunches? Think Outside the Lunchbox is a wonderful workshop held in Sydney and hosted by the lovely Brenda Janschek and Maria Bozic. Take advantage of the early bird special by booking here
Read more about Brenda's workshops here
Bali Renewal Yoga Retreat
Join vinyasa and yin yoga teacher Chantal O'Sullivan (www.chantalyoga.com) for a life-changing yoga adventure in one of the most beautiful places in the world: Bali, Indonesia.
Experience transformation in your body and soul. This is 7 days you'll never forget. Read more about the retreat here
March 27 to April 2, 2014
Desa Seni, Bali, Indonesia
Shakti's Holistic Retreat
You have heard me talk about Shakti's Superfood - which I am a big fan of. Shakti (a woman of many talents) is holding a Holistic Retreat next month, which is well worth checking out. Read more about it here. Bookings do need to be made asap for this one.
We have some lovely new organic and natural products at the Nourishing Hub this week.....
Loving Earth Organic Coconut Nectar
Loving Earth's Organic Coconut Nectar is a delicious, low GI (35), mineral-rich sweetener tapped from coconuts trees on the island of Java in Indonesia. Mmm delicious!
Niulife Coconut Barbecue Sauce
A healthy alternative to Soy Sauce with 60% less sodium. Made from coconut blossom nectar, Niulife Coconut BBQ sauce is a low GI alternative for marinades.
Natures Lift Anti-cellulite Cream
100% Natural and Certified Organic ingredients. The secret behind the Organic NATURES LIFT cellulite treatment is it's miracle cocktail - a supercharged mix of vitamins, minerals and botanicals that are the heart of this intensive Cellulite Treatment Cream.
Recent Posts on the Nourishing Hub
Latest Blog - Mum's Guide to Feeling More Energised
February Newsletter - Valentines Special, Love, Chocolate and Other Treats
Wishing you all a very Happy Valentines Day today!
Simone @ the Nourishing Hub