Superfood Power Porridge September 14 2014 by Simone Denny
The mornings have been getting a little cooler lately and I've been feeling like some warming food to start the day. This is a great porridge full of punchy superfoods - plus it's low GI so should keep you feeling full for longer.
If you follow ayurvedic medicine it's very good for those with a dominant Vata dosha and also for those who suffer from anxiety and/or stress - a good grounding meal to start the day.
- 1 C of Organic (large) rolled oats (or quiona flakes if you are gluten intolerant)
- 2 T Chia Seeds
- 2 T Sesame Seeds
- 1/2 C Goji Berries
- 1/4 C Chopped dates
- 1/2 C Coconut flakes (also called coconut chips)
- 1/2 C Slivered almonds
- 2+ C Rice or almond milk (you may need to add more)
- 3/4 C Berries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 T Good quality coconut oil/butter (optional)
- 1-2 T of Agave Syrup (optional if you like it a little sweet - or you can use other low GI natural sweeteners)
Combine all ingredients in a pot over medium heat and continue to stir until oats are soft. You may need to adjust the amount of milk depending on your desired consistency.
Garnish with natural yogurt and coconut flakes.