Free Radical Fighter Smoothie September 14 2014 by Simone Denny
Following on from my recent article on How Purple And Blue Foods Can Transform Your Health this is a powerful antioxidant smoothie that includes a number of the free radical fighting red, blue and purple foods.
As discussed in the blog, foods with these colour pigments contain the compound anthocyanin, which protects against cell damage caused by free radicals (a natural anti-aging compound).
Free radicals are naturally found in our body, however certain environmental toxins such as pesticides, air pollutants and cigarette smoke can result in the accumulation of free radicals in our cells. These free radicals cause damage to our cells that could lead to early ageing or even cancer.
Makes 1 -2 smoothies
- 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries (excellent antioxidant food but use organic or chemical free blueberries - blueberries are one of the dirty dozen = highly sprayed fruits).
- 1/2 grated raw beetroot (contains betacyanin - an excellent antioxidant)
- 1/2 cup of shredded re cabbage
- 1 banana
- 2 teaspoons of Maqui Berry Powder (high ORAC value making it a powerful antioxidant)
- 3/4 cup of natural yogurt, coconut yogurt or kefir (this is optional)
- 1/2 cup of coconut water or almond milk
Optional extras, which I include in most of my smoothies
Amazonia RAW Energy Powder
Blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth.