Gluten Free Orange Almond Cake September 16 2014 by Simone Denny
I love this recipe (one of my Mum's trusted favourites). It's quick and easy and a great gluten free, dairy free cake that's very tasty! The cardamom adds a nice twist to the flavour.
I have attempted to make a sugar free version with rice malt syrup and it was very sour. I recommend using coconut sugar, as it needs the sweetness but is still a low GI, mineral rich option
- 3 oranges (plus additional for the topping as per the below)
- 1 cup of coconut sugar (maple syrup- see not below)
- 2 1/2 cups of Almond meal (ground almonds)
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 3 teaspoons of ground cardamom
- 3 - 4 cardamon pods (shelled and ground with a pestle mortar) - this is optional but adds a nice flavour.
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 C of orange juice
- 2 - 3 Tablespoons of coconut sugar
Pre-heat the oven to 170 C.
Grease a 23cm cake tin and line with baking paper.
Boil 3 oranges in a large pot of water for approximately 15 minutes.
Blend oranges, coconut sugar and almonds in a food processor until well combined (and smooth).
On low speed, add in eggs, baking powder and cardamon.
Pour mixture into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes.
For the topping
Peel the oranges and cut them in round slices. You can uses slices of the peel to decorate the top too.
Add oranges (and rind if using) to the frying pan and add the orange juice, cardamon and coconut sugar. Simmer for a few minutes and ensure coconut sugar has dissolved.
Once the cake has cooled, decorate with oranges and pour the syrup over top.