Lola Berry's Epic Raw Bonoffee Pie September 16 2014 by Simone Denny
What a treat it is to share they lovely Lola Berry's Epic Raw Banoffee Pie!
This is a cleaner and much healthier version of the famous English pie traditionally made with pastry, banana, cream and toffee.
TIP: You’ll need to start this the night before, by soaking the almonds, pecans and cashews overnight.
- 80 g (1⁄2 cup) almonds, soaked and rinsed
- 60 g (1⁄2 cup) pecans, soaked and rinsed
- 45 g (1⁄2 cup) desiccated coconut
- 180 g (1 cup) medjool dates, pitted
- 2 tablespoons almond butter 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 150 g (1 cup) cashews, soaked and rinsed/li>
- 2 bananas
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) coconut water 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 medjool dates, pitted
- 180 g (1 cup) medjool dates, pitted and soaked in 2 cups boiled water
- 125 g (1⁄2 cup) almond butter 125 ml (1⁄2 cup) coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup 1⁄2 vanilla pod, split and scraped
- 3 tablespoons almond milk,optional
- 1 banana
- ground cinnamon
Blitz the almonds and pecans into a paste using a sturdy food processor. Add the desiccated coconut, dates, almond butter and coconut oil and process until the mixture is biscuity. Press the mixture into the base and sides of a pie dish or loose- bottomed tart tin (it helps if you have damp hands). Pop in the freezer for 2 hours to set.
To prepare the filling, place the cashews in your blender and process until creamy. Add the bananas, coconut water, coconut oil and medjool dates and again process until creamy (about 60 seconds). When the pie base is firm, pour the banana mixture on top and return to the freezer for 2 hours.
To make the toffee, combine the dates (removed from the soaking water), almond butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla seeds and salt in your food processor. Blend on the highest speed until super smooth (add the almond milk if you prefer it a bit runnier). Pour into a serving jug.
When the pie filling is set, remove from the freezer. Slice the remaining banana and arrange the discs neatly over the top of the cake. Drizzle over the toffee, sprinkle with cinnamon and enjoy your delicious, healthy masterpiece!