Gluten Free Spinach and Feta Loaf December 06 2015 by Simone Denny
A big thank you to the lovely Susan Joy for sharing this delicious recipe from her recipe book the Joyful Table. This recipe is gluten and grain free and if using goats feta and cashew sour cream it is also paleo.
Be sure to check out more about Sue and her recipe book here.
I made this recipe for my family and it was very well received. It's very moist loaf that keeps well and is very tasty.
This bread contains feta, it you cannot tolerate dairy use goat feta or omit. For a change you can add chopped sundried tomatoes or sliced olives. Spread with organic butter or ghee for a light lunch or snack. It's delicious served with pumpkin soup.
Prep time: 20 minutes Cooking time: 45 minutes Makes: 1 loaf
1/2 tbsp. ghee for frying
1 small onion, finely diced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
3 cups baby spinach, washed
120g/4oz feta, crumbled or diced
Coarse sea salt and ground pepper to season spinach mix
2 cups almond meal/flour
1/2 cup ground flaxseed
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
130g or 4.5oz sour cream (cashew sour cream below)
4 large eggs (beaten)
2 tbsp. macadamia oil
If using Cashew Sour Cream (instead of yogurt or sour cream):
1 cup of raw cashews, soaked in filtered water with a pinch of salt for 30 - 60 minutes
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 cup of filtered water
Drain and rinse cashews well. Add to high-speed blender, along with remaining ingredients. Blend on high until smoothy, with no grainy bits. Scrape down the sides and blend again until your cream is smooth like a dairy version. Chill before serving.
1. Preheat oven to 170C/340C. Grease a medium loaf with ghee and line the base with baking paper.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, melt ghee. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 4 minutes or until softened.
3. Remove pan from heat, stir in spinach and set aside until spinach wilted. Then add fine sea salt and pepper, mix through the spinach.
4. To a large bowl, add almond meal, flaxseed, baking soda and salt. Mix well to combine and remove any lumps. Stir in sour cream, eggs and macadamia oil, mix until smooth.
5. Add onion and spinach mixture to batter and mix well to combine. Make sure spinach is distributed evenly.
6. Spoon into prepared loaf in any smooth surface. Check you have a little of the spinach showing on the top.
7. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer or toothpick and golden in colour. Cool in tin for 5-10 minutes. Serve warm with organic butter/ghee or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely for later taste. It's best to slice with a serrated bread knife.