Delicious Banana Chocolate Chunk Spelt Muffins May 29 2018 by Simone Denny
I love these very simple tasty muffins, firstly because they taste great and the whole family likes them but also because the last! So often I will bake muffins and within a day they are dry and starting to taste a bit leathery. What I love about these is after a few days they are still beautiful and moist like they have just been baked that day.
A Word on Spelt Flour
Spelt is a very tasty ancient grain that makes a good alternative to those who might be sensitive to wheat. Spelt does contain gluten but it is said to be a more digestible form of gluten.
Although from the same family as wheat, spelt has a different genetic structure, with a higher protein content and a greater concentration of minerals and vitamins
If you don’t have spelt for this recipe you can replace it with any flour of your choice.
- 1 cup of wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 cup of ground almond meal
- ½ cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup of maple (or honey or sweetener of your choice)
- 3 large ripe bananas
- ½ cup of almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- ½ cup of chopped walnuts
- 50 – 70gms of dark chocolate chopped into chunks
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Grease muffin tray (makes 12)
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine wet ingredients until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Add walnuts and chocolate.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then remove muffins onto a cooling rack.
LATEST FROM THE BLOGS
7 Natural Ways to Detox your Mouth and Whiten Your Teeth