Gone to Heaven Hazelnut Chocolate Tart (Vegan) August 30 2018 by Simone Denny
I have named this Gone To Heaven Hazelnut Chocolate Tart because it is just so yummy!
What can I say but you have to try this melt in your mouth dessert. It is one of my personal favourites. It has a hazelnut crust and a silky chocolate filling. It is vegan, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
It does use cacao butter, which is maybe something you don't have in your cupboard but for a texture and taste I highly recommend it.
- 1 ½ cups (350 g) shelled hazelnuts (plus a handful for the topping)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup fresh dates pitted (preferably Medjool dates
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp of raw cacao
- ½ cup cacao nibs (optional)
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk (1 cup) – I recommend the ayam brand
- 2 generous tbsp of coconut oil
- 70gms of cacao butter
- ½ cup of maple syrup
- ½ cup of raw cacao
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
- Toast the hazelnuts on a baking tray on 180°C in the oven, for 10 – 15 minutes or until skin cracks.
- Allow to cool, then remove the skin by rubbing the nuts between a rough kitchen towel or tea towel.
- Add hazelnuts and salt to a food processor or blender and pulse for about 10 seconds. The nuts should be chopped but not powdered.
- Add remaining ingredients until you
- 20 cm (8-inch) spring-form cake tin and flatten it out with your fingers. Put in the fridge to chill while you prepare the filling.
- In a double boiler pot add coconut milk, coconut oil, cacao butter, maple syrup and simmer until melted.
- Remove from heat and add cacao powder and vanilla essence and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the base and store in the fridge or freezer until firm (this maybe 6 hours in the fridge).
- Decorate with chopped hazelnuts or with berries.