This recipe is perfect for using all the courgettes in your garden that have exploded during the summer. If you’re growing fresh mint, then even better! The soup is equally delicious, hot or chilled, so on hot summer days, try serving it cold.
Use olive oil for a tasty vegan courgette soup with peas and mint. You can also use it to garnish the dish (with extra fresh herbs chopped). If you want to really amp up the pea-mint vibes, serve it with bread and our fresh mint, pea & parsley dip.
Courgette Soup with Peas and Mint
- Use two oz. of olive oil or butter without salt
- 2 lbs of courgettes, roughly sliced.
- 500g frozen peas
- One crushed garlic clove
- One onion, finely sliced
- Stock of chicken or vegetables, 1 1/2 pt
- One handful mint
- Black pepper
- Fresh herbs chopped for serving. (Chives, basils, oregano, and mint are all good choices)
- Serve with good olive oil or crème fraiche
- In a large saucepan, heat the butter or the oil and then add the onions. Cook on low heat for several minutes. Then add the courgettes and continue to cook until soft. Stir them from time to time and cook gently on a low flame until they are soft.
- Add the stock and simmer for approximately 15 minutes. Fifteen minutes until all ingredients are mushy and soft. Add the peas for the last two minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let it cool down for a couple of minutes. Add the mint leaves and liquidize in a blender.
- Add seasonings to taste and return to the stove to heat again. Pour into bowls and top with creme fraiche, olive oil, or fresh herbs.